Monday, October 18, 2004

A Brief Word About October Baseball

While I was typing that last post, the Astros got a walk-off bomb from Jeff Kent to take a 3-2 lead over the mighty Cards. On a night like this, how can you not love playoff baseball? As one of my heroes, John Buccigross, might say, David Ortiz and Jeff Kent are clutch, and in life, clutch is everything.

The only downside to watching all this great baseball is having to sit through ads for The Big Fat Obnoxious Network, telling me way to much about shows I will never ever watch. Oh, and having to listen to Tim ("I Overstate the Obvious, and Could You Guess I Do Yankee Games During the Season?") McCarver. But I should not let such bitterness with the messengers discredit the glory of the play on the diamonds.

Quick note to Phil Garner: you've got the lead, so take a gamble in Game 6 with Munro and a committtee, and let Clemens get his usual rest for a possible Game 7. If you don't need a Game 7, then he's ready for Game 1 of the World Series. Clemens may seem invincible, but he is 42 and has no record of success pitching on short rest. In Game 6, he's mortal for five innings. In Game 7, he will not be denied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home